MARC JACOBS GENIUS GEL FOUNDATION
03 July 2015
Was it only a few weeks ago when I bought new foundations? The answer is yes but a new one won't hurt will it?
Hold on to your screens, here's comes a review! Marc Jacobs Beauty Genius Gel Foundation.
Let's start with the usual:
1) Packaging is sleek and sexy
2) There's a pump so we can all relax about it. We beauty bloggers are known to express our huge obsession about pumps.
3) There is a hint of a sunscreen scent for some reason but it's so subtle it's almost non-existent.
The nitty gritty:
4) The gel consistency is lovely on the skin on application. It blends well with no streaks. I have no preferred method of applying it (fingers / sponge / brush), the results are the same, an airbrush look without covering your skin.
5) It has a Light to Medium coverage which why I think it's expensive for what it is. It's probably harsh to say it feels like a BB cream more than a foundation because it's so light on skin.
6) The finish is not matte nor dewy. It's very skin like which makes me think this is better on combination skin. It sort of imitates your skin so if you're on then drier side the it will show dry. The good thing though is once your natural oils starts to come out then it looks even more like skin but better. That's it! It's like your skin but better! *insert smug face*
7) I don't find it as buildable as I hope it would be. Although, 2 coats make a difference but freckles still show.
8) I don't set this with a powder but I do use a primer out of preference. Longevity on the skin is not compromised without a primer.
9) There are golden and pink tones in the shade selection. I initially thought I'd be Golden Deep but that turned out lighter on me so I opted for Fawn Medium which is more on the pink tones but for some reason it matches me better, it's almost invisible after everything is blended in.
Tip: Get a few samples in different shades before committing to a full bottle.
FYI: I am NC42 MAC / Urban Decay in 7.5 / Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous in Golden Tan / NARS All Day Luminous in Syracuse
10) There is no SPF on this so slap on that sunscreen when you can. It photographs beautiful too with or without sunscreen under.
11) Luckily this foundation doesn't oxidise on me. It stay true to colour from morning til I take it off. I am curious to see how this performs in summer.
So, do I love it? Yes. I give it 3.75 out of 5 stars. It's a favourite but not quite the HG because I don't know how this performs when it's a little warmer.
I love it because I am all for skin-like finishes. Compliments are received when I have this on my face so it's in my please repurchase me list. I also been reaching out for it more than my Covergirl foundation and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
There's something about it that makes my skin feel so soft and healthy after I've removed it. It doesn't transfer on anything/anyone and it's low-maintenance application-wise. I could easily resign to just using this should my skin stay healthy and clear like it is now but the price is not something I'd like to fork out every time and that's the downside.
Would I recommend it? Yes and No.
Yes if you're into light-medium coverage or skin-like finishes and price is no issue. It's a beautiful foundation.
No, if you're after medium to full-coverage almost plastic look. This ain't the product for you.
No, if you have oily or dry skin.
It's the kind of foundation that you don't worry about overdoing. It's a beautiful foundation and it delivers the coverage it promises. I am ok showing my freckles for once!
That's all for my ramble!
Hope you are all having a great day. Enjoy your weekend! xx
ps. I am wearing Maybelline Creamy Matte in Touch of Spice lipstick in case you're wondering.